Sunday, March 23, 2008

Sounds from a Beirut Café

Sunday evening and I find myself in a bustling Beirut café. I guess many people had my same idea of winding down this long Easter weekend in public rather than in private. I believe it is also related to the gust of gloriously warm Spring weather that now makes our indoor abodes, our warm comfort zone throughout this winter, a place we’d like to distance ourselves from.

The sounds certainly reflect it…
The music playing overhead is a vivacious Cuban band, and cheerful banter emanating from the tables seems to fit right in. We’ve got it all here – young and younger (!) single sex and mixed groups catching up, couples holed up in corners, and the random stray table with our new age couple: an individual and his/her laptop (present company included). Quite simply, you walk in and everything says: whatever fraction or multiple you are, we have a place for you here. Beirut streets and cafes have always been generous that way, and, not to belittle the gracious shelter from cold winter nights, I actually never appreciate them more than when they offer this private/public, indoor/outdoor space…

There’s a free table waiting…

No comments: